Stella is a young brown-skinned girl with orange hair and brown eyes.
She generally wears a wide-brimmed dark teal hat with a yellow outline on the underside of it which is cut in the form of a star, a yellow elbow-length shirt, a green belt with a glowing belt buckle, teal ankle-length pants and light-green espadrilles. Her most notably feature is her supernaturally glowing belt buckle, which contains the Everlight she inherited from Charon, which allows her to use different abilities and can transform into useful objects, such as oven mittens, a pickaxe and a scythe.
Stella must interact with the passengers and see to their needs - so it sometimes is necessary to feed them, give something to them, talk to or hug them. Stella also can look up their mood in the interaction panel.
Stella's place of birth is unknown. Her family immigrated to northeastern France while Stella was a young child, where she lived out her childhood and teenage years. She later moved to North America with her mother, Marie, and her younger sister, Lilly.
As an adult, Stella was palliative care nurse in charge of helping increase the quality of life of patients with a serious illness. She accompanied those that might not have much time left, and eased their pain by being there for them, right up until she became ill herself.
In Spiritfarer, players catch glimpses of Stella's memories as she reminisces about her family visits to Alsace during her childhood, her newfound friendships while visiting Shirakawa-gō during her early adulthood, her patients as a health worker in Oxbury, and her anxiety-filled nightmares when she learned of her rapidly advancing cancer.
Stella's friend and follower on the ferry is Daffodil, who appears as a cream coloured cat with blue eyes. He carries his own Everlight on a collar, allowing player two to control him in Cooperative Play. Daffodil was the family pet before Stella moved out and took him with her.
Stella has several different outfits that the player can equip from the wardrobe in Alice's Cottage. The outfits are interchangeable, so you can mix and match, which is even required during one of Alice's sidequests.
- Classic Outfit: The classic outfit has a wide-brimmed, star-shaped green hat with a yellow outline on the underside of it. She has a yellow shirt and green pants with light-green espadrilles.
- Easter Outfit: The Easter outfit has a wide-brimmed, star-shaped mint green hat with a dusty yellow outline on the underside of it. She has a pink shirt and light blue pants with pink espadrilles.
- Periwinkle Outfit: The periwinkle outfit has a wide-brimmed, star shaped periwinkle hat with a dusty yellow outline on the underside of it. She has a light purple shirt and dark purple pants with light purple espadrilles.
- Annie's Beach Outfit: The "Annie's" Beach outfit has a wide-brimmed, star shaped dark blue hat with a yellow outline. She has a dusty mint colored shirt and light blue pants with navy blue espadrilles.
- Sunday's Outfit: The Sunday's outfit has a wide-brimmed, star shaped light blue hat with a yellow outline on the underside of the hat. She has an off-white shirt shirt and mustard colored pants with light blue espadrilles.
- Twilight Outfit: The twilight outfit has a wide-brimmed, star shaped dark gray hat with a yellow outline on the underside of the hat. She has a blue shirt and dark gray pants (a slightly darker color than her hat) with darker blue espadrilles.
- Eshe's Outfit: Eshe's Outfit has a wide-brimmed, star shaped white hat with a tan outline on the underside. She has a tan shirt and light gray pants with brown espadrilles.
- Blackberry Outfit: The blackberry outfit has a wide-brimmed, star shaped light purple hat with a golden outline on the underside of the brim. She has an eggshell colored shirt and dark purple pants with black espadrilles.
- Pirate Outfit: The pirate outfit has a wide-brimmed, star shaped red hat with a tan outline on the underside of the brim. She has on a blue shirt with dark red pants and dark greenish-blue espadrilles.
- Thora's Outfit: Thora's Outfit has a wide-brimmed, star shaped dark gray hat with a light gray outline on the underside of the brim. She has a shirt that's darker gray than her hat and black pants, with brown espadrilles.
|Potential spoilers ahead!|
- The developers had almost allowed the player to choose "Stella's" name, but then decided that it was Stella's story, so they made it so there was no customization on that part.
- Back when the idea of “online” for Spiritfarer involved one person per ship, Stella was actually two people; a brother and a sister. The sister was originally much younger, while the brother was slightly older. The idea behind it was that you would pick a character, and encounter your sibling and their ship, online, when you would meet other people. However, due to many time and budget constraints, they had to remove the idea of meeting ship-to-ship, and it left them with one protagonist, and eventually, her cat.
- Thunder Lotus Games newsletter
- Spiritfarer - The Artbook